Noriega House
Bakersfield, United States
Noriega House History 1901 Rich History of the Noriega House - Past and Present Faustino Mier Noriega, a Spainard, was adopted by his uncle, and took on the Basque name of Noriega. He emigrated from Spain and went to work for his uncle. Faustino was a successful businessman beginning his working career in the sheep business and later heading up a division of Miller and Lux, forerunner of the Kern County Land Co., those holdings now developed largely by Castle & Cook. Among other businesses, Faustino built and operated the Noriega Hotel in 1893. The Hotel still stands and operates on Sumner Avenue. Later, members of his family operated the hotel and restaurant. The business was eventually leased in the 30's to the Elizalde family, who continue to operate it today, although the property is still owned by the Noriega Family. Faustino's wife and children lived in the Hotel until 1900 when he moved them to their newly constructed home at Baker and Oregon Street, known today as Noriega House. Louise Inda, Faustino's wife was French Basque and immigrated to America with her three sisters. Faustino and Louise had five children: Marcelina, Christine, Julia, Frank, and Alfred. The family lost Julie in her early twenties to appendicitis. The other children all married and raised families here in Bakersfield. Judge Frank Noriega's widow, Louise, at age 99, is the sole living member of the second generation. Faustino passed away in 1922 and the eldest daughter Marcelina and her family continued to occupy the House until early 1996 when her youngest daughter, now in her 80's moved to more habitable quarters. The Noriega name lives on here in Bakersfield. Great grandchildren are employed in all walks of life with some special leanings toward business to include the law, accounting, and other pursuits. The Noriega House was built in 1900 and finished in August of that same year. Total price: $1,286.10. The House, when finished, had gaslights and was heated by one fireplace and up to four radiant stoves (possibly "pot bellied" ones). The architectural style is a Queen Ann Cottage boasting 2,400 square feet on the main floor. There is a large attic of another 2,000 square feet of useable space. The construction is of sandstone brick up to 14 feet with shiplap siding above the masonry walls. The roof was of composition shingle. There is also a root cellar that is still used today. The House has six chimneys, four gables, two porch entrances, and is graced by many arched windows and doors. All wood in the House, except for the door and threshold, were of vertical grain fir (softwood) suitable only for painting. The Noriega family owned nearly an acre of land around the House and built other residences to the east and south of the main house that other family members occupied or were used as rentals.Various outbuildings included a summer cookhouse, a garage and other small outbuildings. The Restoration of Noriega House When the House first came on the market in 1997, it had a wonderful stately look to it even with its old coat of Spanish white paint and roughly kept grounds. The Old Town Kern Noriega House is a structure that commands respect and has a spirit of its own. Economically, the House could not be restored as a residence. It had to have a commercial usage to be saved. Based on the "antique" beauty of the house a wedding venue/party/meeting center would be just the thing. The high demand for those things, and the spirit of the House made it a perfect setting. The one and ½ year project included the following: Clearing the sight of all unsaveable structures, all trees, shrubs, sidewalks, walls, etc.; Tearing off three layers of old roofing and replacing it with a new 40 year roof; A total seismic retrofit; Removing all ceilings and wall plaster back to the lathe; Installing new ceiling trusses to support the attic; Rewiring to code; Re-Plumbing to code; Installing forced air/heat; Removing all carpets and then sanding and refinishing the floors; Installing new wallboard and plaster, replacing all original wood trim; Installing a new commercial kitchen; Restoring of raised pattern wallpaper in the Dining Room and Replacing that ceiling; Floor refinishing and painting throuhtout the House; New landscaping plan with all new sidewalks, lawns, decorative pergolas; a Ceremonial stage; a Wrought iron fence and a new parking lot; Installing automatic watering systems; Constructing a new attic to seat parties of 80 guests; and Completing a gazebo in the rear of the gardens. The House is a place for weddings (Love Begins at the Noriega House), parties, banquets, receptions, reunions and a business/conference center and is available for either indoor or outdoors events.