MYSTIC

Fireman's Museum

Somerville, United States

Somerville relies upon volunteers to staff its Fire Department. The first volunteer fire company organized in 1835. Since then, three more companies have formed, all manned by volunteers.<br><br> This building was constructed in 1888 for the West End Hose Company to meet the needs of residents on the west side of town. The new brick building replaced a wooden shed which had housed the hand-drawn fire fighting apparatus of Union Fire Co. No. 1 (1852-1878). Some of the bricks used in the construction were acquired when Daniel Robert demolished the "castle" on the site now occupied by Borough Hall. in addition to hand drawn fire apparatus, the building was home to the borough's first horse-drawn truck (1888) and Macky, the horse purchased to pull the single harness rig. Later in 1916, the first motorized apparatus was purchased for West End Hose Company.<br><br> In 1970, West End Hose Company relocated to High Street. The original firehouse was dedicated as a museum to all of the men who have served in the Somerville Fire Department.

Submit Update