VALOR

Landon House

Frederick, United States

Constructed in 1754 on the banks of the Rappahannock River in Virginia, this building was reconstructed here in 1846 and became Landon Female Academy. Early in September 1862, while infantry of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia rested near Frederick, Lee’s cavalry chief Gen. J.E.B. Stuart occupied Urbana to report on any Federal advance from Washington. Having received an enthusiastic welcome from the community, Stuart hosted a dance here at the academy for Confederate cavalrymen and local ladies. The 18th Mississippi Cavalry’s regimental band provided the music, and military flags decorated the building. When Union cavalry threatened the Confederate picket posts at Hyattstown, however, the dancing ended abruptly as Stuart’s men galloped off to reinforce the pickets. They quickly returned and the ball resumed, but soon they converted the building to a field hospital when wounded men arrived. Later, the Federals also used the academy as a hospital.

Submit Update