Goose Creek Stream
Baytown, United States
The name Goose Creek was originated by Indians because in ages past it was a gathering place for huge flocks of geese. On map used by the LaSalle expedition (1684-1687) carries the label Goose Creek on this small stream. During the Civil War (1863) the Confederate Government established a shipyard at the mouth of Goose Creek. The Bayland Orphans home began operating in 1867 near the mouth of Goose Creek on the west bank. The home was use for the education and care of Confederate orphans. In 1869 the John Gaillard family established a shipping point known as Gaillard's Landing which later became the center of Goose Creek oil field. A small ferry known as Busch Landing carried traffic between the oil field and the Humble refinery site. A town site founded in 1919 carried the name Goose Creek for nearly thirty years.