VALOR
King Haiglar Tower
Camden, United States
King Haiglar is often called the patron saint of Camden. From about 1750 until his murder by hostile Indians in 1763, this noble Catawba chief was a valuable friend to the pioneers of Pine Tree Hill, as Camden was then known.<br><br> Some time between 1815 and 1826, J.B. Mathieu executed this 5'1" iron effigy of King Haiglar and presented it to the town. It has stood as a weather vane at other locations since then and was placed here when the Opera House (since razed) and its tower were built in 1886.<br><br> A copy of Mathieu's likeness of King Haiglar stands atop City Hall, built in 1955.