VALOR
The Arlington Mill
Arlington, United States
The land along four mile run in this area belonged to George Washington and was known as Washington forest. Later it became part of the Arlington estate. The Colombian Turnpike was built through here in 1808 to link the long bridge at Washington with the Little River Turnpike to the west. In 1836 G. W. P. Custis built a grist mill here where the turnpike crossed four mile run. It was destroyed during the Civil War (as the supposed property of R. E. Lee), but was rebuilt in 1880, continued in operation until 1906, and was destroyed by fire in 1920.