INSTINCT
Streetcar Barns
Cambridge, United States
The original brick car house was built in 1874. A larger one was built around it in 1897 to accommodate electric streetcars, which replaced horsecars on this route in 1889. That structure was razed in 1937. The present streetcar barn was built in 1979 to house the trolley buses that have run the route since 1958. In the late 19th century the presence of this rapid transit helped make North Cambridge a center of rapid development and suburbanization. (sign erected by the North Cambridge Stabilization Committee, 2002)